Academics at Lyons: Small class sizes improve learning
The Colorado Department of Education has ranked our middle school High (in the top 16% of all middle schools in Colorado) and our high school Excellent (in the top 10% of all high schools in Colorado) for three consecutive years. Only one other high school in the St. Vrain Valley School District achieved the Excellent ranking in 2005.
We have achieved this excellence by:
- Focusing on core instruction (math, reading, writing, science, social studies)
- Offering honors math and language arts classes at the middle school
- Increasing the number of Advanced Placement courses at the high school
- Offering college coursework through St. Vrain’s only Colorado State University online partnership; concurrent enrollment options also available with University of Colorado and Front Range Community College
- Building an exceptional Fine Arts program – 72% of all our middle school students are in band or choir
- Expanding opportunities in computer science, and the Science and Leadership Program.
- Maintaining strong athletic programs
- Creating a technology-rich environment
- Providing strong academic & individual counseling service
- Recruiting: Open enrollment comprises 38% of our student body